It's hard to believe the summer season at Youth Haven is almost over.
We arrived back at the Arizona Ranch campus on Sunday afternoon. We've been back and forth so much this year, it feels like we're always saying goodbye. I admit, it was pretty tough to say goodbye to my family this time around.
In fact, the last day we were at home in Michigan, I was really struggling with leaving again. The Lord brought to my mind Philippians 4:13, the familiar verse that says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." My response was, "I know I can, but sometimes I just don't want to."
But obedience must come before what I want. And part of being supportive of my husband in his ministry is being willing to say goodbye, even when it's hard. He and I are a team, and I know God has a lot more for us to do out here.
Well, that was even more evident today as we, yet again, said goodbye. Goodbye to a great group of teens who had been here for the last of our summer sessions in Arizona. Most of them start school next week, so it was fun to have them here before they head back to their environments.
We had a great time leading them in worship, sharing meals with them, and watching them laugh together. They were a little rowdy sometimes, but, hey, they're teens. Teens from some pretty tough circumstances. Teens who love to come to Youth Haven because when they're here, they're loved.
After lunch today, just before they would all be picked up, they were invited to stand up and share something they learned this week at Youth Haven. One by one, we listened to them tell heartbreaking stories that now end with hope because of Youth Haven.
There was the 14-year-old girl who has a baby at home and learned that God forgives.
There was the teenaged boy who talked about being shifted from foster home to foster home, but always knowing he had a family at Youth Haven.
There was the young lady who said, "I thought God had forgotten me when I was taken away from my sister. But now I know He didn't forget about me, and He is always with me."
And many other teens - our nation's leaders of tomorrow - who stood up and said that they want to live for Jesus because of what they have learned and experienced at Youth Haven.
I sat with tears in my eyes as I listened to them. Oh, to be able to take away the pain that so many of them have experienced! We know that as they went home today, then went back into some pretty tough situations.
Then Lars stood up and encouraged them all not to forget what they have learned, and told them that we would be praying for them and are always here for them.
I am grateful beyond words that God would allow us to be part of this incredible ministry - and for a husband who is giving his life to something bigger than ourselves. I am so proud of him for showing those boys what it means to be a man of God when they have no example of that at home.
Sometimes it is hard to obey. But when we are willing, God will use us. He will give us the strength we need. And sometimes, He even rewards us with a glimpse of what He's doing through us.
I hate to think of missing out on that reward by choosing not to obey. Even more, I hate to think of how those kids would have been affected. I choose obedience, and I pray that God will continue to use me.
No comments:
Post a Comment